Saturday, April 12, 2014

Numbers 13:1-20 and John 10:7-21 (New Living Translation)

NUMBERS 13:1-20
THE SPIES
1    The Lord now said to Moses, 
2    “Send out men to explore the land of Canaan, the land I am giving to the Israelites. Send one leader from each of the twelve ancestral tribes.”
3    So Moses did as the Lord commanded him. He sent out twelve men, all tribal leaders of Israel, from their camp in the wilderness of Paran. 
4    These were the tribes and the names of their leaders:
TribeLeader
    ReubenShammua son of Zaccur
5  SimeonShaphat son of Hori
6  JudahCaleb son of Jephunneh
7  IssacharIgal son of Joseph
8  EphraimHoshea son of Nun
9  BenjaminPalti son of Raphu
10 ZebulunGaddiel son of Sodi
11 Manasseh son of JosephGaddi son of Susi
12 DanAmmiel son of Gemalli
13 AsherSethur son of Michael
14 NaphtaliNahbi son of Vophsi
15 GadGeuel son of Maki
16  These are the names of the men Moses sent out to explore the land. (Moses called Hoshea son of Nun by the name Joshua.)
17  Moses gave the men these instructions as he sent them out to explore the land: “Go north through the Negev into the hill country. 
18  See what the land is like, and find out whether the people living there are strong or weak, few or many.
19  See what kind of land they live in. Is it good or bad? Do their towns have walls, or are they unprotected like open camps? 
20  Is the soil fertile or poor? Are there many trees? Do your best to bring back samples of the crops you see.” (It happened to be the season for harvesting the first ripe grapes.)

JOHN 10:7-21
JESUS THE GOOD SHEPHERD
7    so he explained it to them: “I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. 
8    All who came before me were thieves and robbers. But the true sheep did not listen to them. 
9    Yes, I am the gate. Those who come in through me will be saved. They will come and go freely and will find good pastures. 
10  The thief’s purpose is to steal and kill and destroy. My purpose is to give them a rich and satisfying life.
11  “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd sacrifices his life for the sheep. 
12  A hired hand will run when he sees a wolf coming. He will abandon the sheep because they don’t belong to him and he isn’t their shepherd. And so the wolf attacks them and scatters the flock. 
13  The hired hand runs away because he’s working only for the money and doesn’t really care about the sheep.
14  “I am the good shepherd; I know my own sheep, and they know me, 
15  just as my Father knows me and I know the Father. So I sacrifice my life for the sheep. 
16  I have other sheep, too, that are not in this sheepfold. I must bring them also. They will listen to my voice, and there will be one flock with one shepherd.
17  “The Father loves me because I sacrifice my life so I may take it back again. 
18  No one can take my life from me. I sacrifice it voluntarily. For I have the authority to lay it down when I want to and also to take it up again. For this is what my Father has commanded.”
19  When he said these things, the people were again divided in their opinions about him.
20  Some said, “He’s demon possessed and out of his mind. Why listen to a man like that?”
21  Others said, “This doesn’t sound like a man possessed by a demon! Can a demon open the eyes of the blind?”

No comments:

Post a Comment